Sunday 26 November 2017

What A Wonderful Mask.


[Just a note... everyone (people and bookshops) I mention in this post has epithets like lovely, wonderful, amazing... and so on ... in front of their name.   Please imagine this yourself...]

Today, I had planned to perform a first performance of  'Sewing With Rain' with Késia Decoté.

On the surface, here is how the story was progressing...

The show had evolved from a repertoire of story songs to what I can only call a partially improvised musical... with a story woven around the songs.

That all evolved out of two things... trying to write a song that didn't want to fit into a  song because it was too big... and also talking to Daniel Balanescu  www.danielbalanescu.ro/,  who asked me why I didn't write a story around everything. It occured to me a short while after that,  that the song I was failing to write, was indeed that story.

I tried to get the whole thing ready by today... I really did.

It was all going to be held at The Albion Beatnik Bookshop and Dennis had agreed we could do it there.  It was going to be music with tea/coffee/wine and cake... yum ...

There were going to be masks and everything...

Here's the funny thing...

As I was trying to write the story... it kept expanding.  I felt like I was running across the fields to keep up with it.   The walls in my office are covered with large pieces of paper full of notes and arrows and scenes.   It is all coming together... but not yet...

and then a number of family upheavals...

and I realised the show would have to be postponed and Dennis and Késia
are happy to do this.   

I have learned, from writing stories, that sometimes, you have to let them go their own way.  It seems that this Sewing With Rain malarkey is on its own timetable... perhaps it is still expanding... I have to let it do its thing...

Then... this week....the mask of the eater of nightmares arrived.   I love it!  Thank you Thomas (Theatre Didymus)



What a wonderful mask... I can see him so clearly... there in the swamp... the nightmare eater... and his tree of crows ... he comes alive...

Something is moving....

Sewing With Rain is coming... and not this year... and that is not a disappointment any more. 

Share:

2 comments

© PIANO ROCKETSHIP | All rights reserved.
Blogger Theme Created by pipdig